Wednesday, February 16, 2011

*Never Grow Up*

Every morning for as long as I can remember I've carried Georgia into her school. When you first arrive at the school there are two teachers standing outside. One marks down attendance and the other acts as a "runner". You can pull up in your car and have the teacher take your child into class or you can park, walk them to the gate where the teacher takes them from there or you can walk them in yourself.

Last summer I carried Georgia to the gate a couple of times and the "runnner" took her to class. Georgia was not a big fan of this. She began to ask me to walk her all the way in. So I did. We pull up, I get her out of the car and gather her bags when she says "Carry Me Mommy". I pick her up balancing a lunch kit, back pack, nap mat and 3 1/2 year old. She buries her head in my neck as we walk past the teachers. "Good Morning Georgia!" They say. No response- no question this is my child...not a morning person.... We walk in and as soon as we hit the hallway Georgia can suddenly walk again. I know she does this because she is scared I will drop her off with the teachers up front again (Seriously? Only did this once or twice!) and she likes to have that extra bit of time to say goodbye and have "One more BIG hug" before I leave for work.

Yesterday we got out of the car and Georgia said, "I'm going to walk today Mommy". Just like that she walked past the teachers and replied back with "Good Morning" on her way in. We were halfway down the hall when I realized she had just walked into school under her own steam and might never want me to carry her inside again. I felt as though the wind had been knocked out of me.

There were many mornings I would be exasperated with her for making me carry her. I would try to convince her to just walk on her own. I would have my arms full with stuff and of course be running late and would get irritated.

I almost saw her life flash before my eyes at that moment. The moment she was born and suddenly this little change in our routine made me feel as though she had just graduated from high school. Every day that passes is one I will never get back.

Today she walked into school again on her own and tomorrow I guess she'll get her driver's license.

2 comments:

  1. SO cute! I love that girl. They do grow up so fast. You must be proud of her though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mel....this brought tears to my eyes!

    ReplyDelete