Monday, August 27, 2012

Dear Georgia....

Dear Georgia,
Today is your first day of Kindergarten. Wow! Seriously- how did this happen? I honestly feel like I just held you in my arms yesterday- almost like the weight of your little body snuggled up in the crook of my arm is still there. You are such a fun, smart, funny, entertaining and caring little girl- I know you will do well in school. In prepping you for this day I asked myself "Have I done enough in the past 5 years to make sure she is ready?" I can assure you the answer is "yes". I have not one little worry about you- you speak your mind yet you are polite. You ask for what you want and you are not afraid to tell someone what you need. You make friends fast and I have a feeling you will be helping the other kids who maybe feel a little lonely today.

I can't help but think of the very first time I dropped you off at Mother's Day out when you were two years old. It ripped my heart out to do it, but I did. I'm so glad I did now. (Even though I broke the rules and picked you up after only 2.5 hours every day you went...and you only went twice a week). When I dropped you off that day we both cried. I actually couldn't even make it to the bathroom of the church or even to my car. I began to sob right there outside of your classroom door.

When I dropped you off for preschool when you were three years old we still had a rough time (and not just on the first day)- this was probably the biggest transition period of both of our lives. For three years it had been you and I together almost constantly and now you were going to "school" and I was going back to work. I missed you so much but you blossomed into a courageous and amazing child. You were very shy back then and would bury your head in my chest when new people came around. There were times when you did not warm up to people at all, but you went to school and you made LOTS of friends and you were surrounded by teachers and staff that loved you so much- just like Mommy. They held you when I couldn't and they helped you when I wasn't there. Just to let you know- part of me still wishes every day that I would have been able to stay with you the past two years.

Little by little you become "Little Miss Social"- you would talk to people in the elevator on the way down to the car in the mornings and greet the Valet as they helped us load up- you didn't hide behind my legs anymore or bury yourself in me. You were (and still are) a charmer.

Then I saw you today- boy do you have some confidence!! You are not scared of going to school at all! You walked right in, said "Hello" to your teacher, found your friend Hallie and gave her a great big hug. It was almost like Mommy wasn't even there! ha! I gave you a quick hug and told you how proud I was of you and you said "I know, I love you Mommy, see you later" I saved face this time until I got to the car to break down. ;)

I guess I just want you to know I love you forever. I'm SO proud of you. Things haven't worked out the way I imagined but life continually proves to me that they are working out better than I could have planned. You having the opportunity to go to preschool these past two years has given you something I don't think you would have received by staying at home with Mom- even though we did some really cool stuff together, I was always around. I really think you being able to be out on your own, making decisions for yourself without me watching helped you right along to be in the place you are now. You are so well adjusted it makes my heart swell.

Today as I cried on my way to work it wasn't fearful tears of "What will happen?", they were happy tears, thinking "We did it!". I know you are going to be better than "okay". You are and always will be nothing short of amazing. I am so very proud of you today as I have been every day of your life.




"Meet the Teacher" day last Friday

She found her desk!

Good Morning Sunshines! Yes, you too fake Winston in the corner...

Her bags are packed and ready to go....


Still trying to wake up....

Now we are happy!



For our next feature, the "I love Kindergarten dance" choreographed and performed on the spot by Georgia Clare!















Let's do this!


"Ready Mommy?"


I am SO proud of this little angel!

Our old neighbor, Hallie!

See you later precious!


One day- you will change the world.

Love you more and always and forever,
Mommy

1 comment:

  1. would you like to write letters to my children from me? We can just sign my name at the bottom. Gosh what are you trying to do? make people cry?

    ReplyDelete