Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Tell me what you really think....

In the words of a child...I guess you never see more truth?

Since Georgia was sick last week (did I ever post she was diagnosed with strep? ugh.) We were out of work/school for 2 days. Then I had to return to the work force and she tagged along since the dr. said she could not return back to school until Monday.

My dad has a restaurant he goes to daily- The Dinner Bell. I think it was built in the 1950's and hasn't changed a bit since. Imagine going to a cafeteria in the 1950's and you have The Dinner Bell complete with ash trays screwed into the walls and high chairs/ booster seats I thought had been confiscated long ago. Lots of pleather, exposed brick and Fox News plays non stop on the TV in the center. If you are lucky (and there early) you get the table right in front of the TV. Those seats go fast so be prepared if you arrive around 11:30 you will be in a booth craning your neck for a view of the TV....

I used to HATE The Dinner Bell. I would gripe about going, I thought the food was disgusting and BEGGED to go to Luby's instead. My dad began to have the company Christmas parties there and I really had to put my foot down. It was just unacceptable. When he got married The Dinner Bell even made his wedding cake. (Of course they have a bakery right next to the pawn shop...)

Since I've worked for him the past 2 1/2 years I hate to say I have come to like (dare I say love?) The Dinner Bell. I honestly cannot believe it myself. Now Luby's seems disgusting while The Dinner Bell appears to cook with fresh ingredients and less "processed stuff". My dad and I go every day and most days I am patiently waiting for him to come down and ask "You want to go get something to eat?" "Umm YES it's like 11:15 why did you take so long? We'll never get a seat in front of the Fox News Tube now!!!"

Occasionally he fakes me out and takes me some weird place without telling me first. I don't know about you but I am what I like to call a "taste bud person". If I think I'm about to go eat pizza and then you take me to eat sushi I am not going to be pleasantly surprised. I prep my stomach for what it's about to consume. If a wrench is thrown in the plans unexpectedly I'm not necessarily excited about it. So it's pretty irritating when I'm expecting my Dinner Bell "usual" and we end up at the new greek restaurant down the street. FYI- Dad if you are reading this please give me a heads up that you aren't, in fact,  just taking another weird short cut but that we aren't going to be dining at the dinner bell that day. Thanks.

Back to The Dinner Bell...my college friends who were with me during a unique finding of a buffet Luby's located in San Marcos (Oh yes, imagine the possibilities, BUFFET LUBY'S and yes the possibility of finding 30 pounds on my waist) know my love of cafeteria foods. You bypass the meats and go straight for the vegatables. By vegetables I mean mac and cheese, mashed potatoes with cream gravy, green beans (you have to have some semblance of healthy in this carb explosion) and a dinner roll. So I used to get that for lunch. I just couldn't continue- I knew the end result from college and I knew I had to show some self restraint. So now they make my order specifically for me. Yep- they KNOW us there.

Salad with Tuna Salad on half and 1/2 boiled egg. I order an extra 2 whole boiled eggs on the side. And there you have lunch. It's crave worthy, plus it doesn't include carbs so win-win.

So the main story of this post goes back to Georgia, not my love of this weird, disgusting cafeteria. Georgia and I arrive at the office and my dad (Grandaddy) comes down.

Georgia- "Grandaddy!! Guess what? I get to go to lunch with you today to my FAVORITE place"
Dad- "Oh yeah where is that?"
Georgia- "The dinner bell, they make my favorite Mac and Cheese!"

I'm silently cursing myself for ever bringing her to this establishment while begrudgingly admitting I actually love it too...

Later on at lunch...
Georgia- "Grandaddy- your full right?"
Dad- "Yes I am, how can you tell"
(He is obviously expecting and answer such as; your plate is empty, you stopped eating, etc.)
Georgia- "You're big fat belly!"

hahahahahaha- you should have seen my dad's face!
So he sucks in his "big fat belly" and asks her:

Dad- "What about now?"
Georgia- "Oh, NOW you look hungry!"

Love her.


No comments:

Post a Comment