Wednesday, December 19, 2012

There are no answers..

I spent the past weekend glued to CNN watching the horrific aftermath of a horrific situation. A situation that hit all too close to home for me. We all have heard of the terrible, terrible tragedy that occurred in Newton, CT. My heart breaks for the victims, the survivors, the families. For the first time in my life the words "I cannot imagine" are true. I cannot imagine. I cannot let myself begin to imagine the horror of it all.

Why? Why did this happen? Why did 20 precious children have to loose their lives? 6 amazing adults? I, along with everyone else wanted an answer right away- why did this happen? What can we do to prevent something like this in the future from happening? We need action now!

After a few days have passed I realize there really isn't an answer. At least not a good one. The truth is there is NO explanation for this event. If there was an "explanation" it would not be enough. There will never be an "explanation" that would make anyone stop and say "Oh! So that is why he gunned down 20 six and seven year olds- it all makes sense now!" <-----That will never happen.

So I am left when the question of "What can we do to prevent something like this from happening?" I really do not know the answer to this. I don't think we can ban guns completely. Putting stricter guidelines on gun ownership won't cut it either as all the guns used in this terrible crime were obtained and owned legally. I'm sure there are SO many options on this front but let's be honest...if someone has it in their head to commit this crazy act they will find the means.

What is that last statement? "if someone has it in their head" Could this be the best place to start?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/16/i-am-adam-lanzas-mother-mental-illness-conversation_n_2311009.html

I come back to not knowing. There is not an explanation and there is not a remedy. All I know is right now 20 babies are gone forever, 6 adults have been taken from their family. The only thing I can do is pray. Pray for the victims, survivors and families. Pray for my own daughter and hope she does not find out about this tragedy and start to ask questions. "Mommy, am I safe at school?" So many words I would want to tell her to comfort her, "Of course you are safe".... "That could never happen here at your school" but I can't speak those words to her because I know I will be lying. So I pray she never asks and I pray for her safety. Once again I don't have the answers.

1 comment:

  1. So sad. I also have thought and prayed non stop. The article you posted is very insightful and heartbreaking for the Mom's of these kids as well.

    ReplyDelete