Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Health Update!

You may recall a post I made awhile back about some goals I had in regards to being healthier. Don't recall? Here you go! It's time to update you on that list- aren't you excited??

1. I am attemping to eat a vegan diet. (Bhahahaha!) okay at least Local and all Organic?
So this one is hit or miss....I have cut more and more meat out of my diet and continue to do so every day. I don't think I could ever go to a steak house again and order a steak. (This isn't to say I won't have a bite of whomever I happen to be dining with...) Honestly though- I really don't even want that one bite and have rejected it more often than not. I don't really care for chicken anymore either. I will eat fish, shrimp, scallops, etc. As far as Vegan goes- who knows?? I guess what I'm doing right now doesn't have a label for it (maybe vegetarian??) Vegetables is what I am craving these days. El Rey has an AWESOME veggie taco. I tried Ruggle's the other night and again- they were amazing! Seriously I want one right now.

I stopped drinking coffee (I would drink about 3 cups a day...or more..) and switched to green tea. Not only is it a natural diuretic but I don't have nasty coffee breath anymore. I feel "Cleaner", I don't have the caffeine headaches coffee would sometimes cause, and I don't get jittery if I drink too much.

I've cut out a majority of my carb intake- for example sometimes I will eat the taco part of my veggie taco but most of the time I will have one or two bits then just eat the veggies inside. Although I still eat pizza at least once a week...but did you know the Neapolitan pizza is only 800 calories FOR AN ENTIRE PIZZA??? There just happens to be a place that was voted best pizza joint in Houston right by my house- Pizzaro's. It's amazing and just like the pizzas we scarfed down daily in Italy. (I wondered why I didn't come home a hippo....) Best part- I don't eat a whole pizza. So even if I just eat half it's 400 calories which is not bad at all!

I still slip up- I forget occasionally I don't want to eat meat and just order it without thinking. I'm not going to beat myself up about it and if I want it, I will eat it. I think it's more about making a true effort to change my eating habits rather than go cold turkey. It has been a process- I started thinking about doing this almost 3 years ago.

2. I am going to try to run every day this week.
I have been running! A LOT. Most weeks I try to run at least a few times but my schedule really doesn't allow me to get out there every day (especially with Georgia). I realized I have a gym membership and I braved the gym for the first time in almost 3 years. Georgia is now old enough to go into the rec center while I work out and she loves it (This was a problem before because she HATED the gym daycare and I felt guilty leaving her there) This one has a rock climbing wall, sports games, Kinect, crafts, etc. The first & second day she griped about going then on the third day she ASKED to go. Strange. Anyway after I work out I run on the treadmill. Again- something I HATE doing. I still hate it! BUT I have forced myself to run 3 miles on the treadmill at the end of each work out and it really helped my stamina for running in the park. Monday night I ran 9 miles (yes- 9) without stopping! I am super proud of myself and am even thinking of (gasp) running a 1/2 marathon in a couple of weeks. Sometimes I feel as though I'm having an out of body experience- don't I hate running?

3. I am superbly bloated right now and hope this feeling goes away soon.
I know you were worried. The bloating went away.

4. I started running again two weeks ago and forgot how much I missed it.
I did miss it and I am enjoying it more and more. (says the girl who despised all kinds of jogging/running activities the majority of her life.)

No comments:

Post a Comment