Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Dress Rehearsal

There is nothing I love more than a dance recital. Maybe it's the dancer in me.....actually, of course it's the dancer in me!!! I LOVED dance recitals when I was a kid and now, dare I say, I love them even more that I get to watch my very own daughter in them. The thing is... I love watching ALL the girls dance. I am one of those people (ummm not sure if this type exists or not) that loves to sit and watch each and every dance. My body moves involuntarily as I watch the dancers perform.

Dress rehearsal for Georgia was tonight. The recital is still a month away. I have to say I feel like this dance company really has everything together compared to others we have been with. Costumes are adorable, music is age appropiate, pictures went smoothly, they had plenty of staff letting everyone know where to go, etc. Plus they BROKE up the recital so we they are having 4 recitals that will each be about 1.5 hours instead on one giant recital. What a novel idea. AND you can leave once your child is done performing. When Georgia was 3 the old company REQUIRED us to stay for the ENTIRE production. Really? Why would I sit with a 3 year old for a 3.5 hour recital when my daughter's dance was #2? (we snuck out....)

Moving on...a couple nights ago I decided we needed to get it together on Georgia's dances and start practicing at home. She's old enough to know the moves and not have to look at the side of the stage. I knew the titles of the songs but not the versions so we sat down and I played 5 million previews on my phone of songs until she said "That's it!!!" then we downloaded and repeated. She is in three dances this year- tap, ballet, and jazz. Once we had all three songs downloaded we pushed the chairs out of the way in the "ballroom" and she "taught" me the dances. We are going to keep up our nightly routine until showtime....

Tonight she was on stage- she danced, she smiled, she performed, she soaked it up....she was SO excited! I loved seeing it. I have to say I love every single moment of being a Mom. Yes, even the other night when she was super exhausted from the weekend and randomly wet the bed and I was up at 1am changing sheets in the middle of the night. She NEVER does this...seriously I potty trained the child at 2.5 years old. I was super freaking irritated because she is almost 6 and why did she do this when I was sooooooo tired???? I guess I didn't LOVE that, but you know, I wouldn't really want to trade it for anything. I'm glad that I have her in my life for every moment- the super fun ones I always knew I would enjoy like dance recitals and dress rehearsals, but also the ones I probably didn't realize I would come to appreciate like changing sheets in the middle of the night for 6 years now...

But for now, while I'm washing sheets, here are some sneak peaks of the precious prima ballerina in costume!



No comments:

Post a Comment