Tuesday, June 4, 2013

It's a Wrap!


Georgia- Here we are. The last day of Kindergarten. Where, oh where, has the time gone? (oh yes, once again a reference to my all time favorite question) I was right when I said on the first day of school that you would be fine. You were. This year, just as you have every year of your life, you have grown into an even more amazing child. I once thought the biggest change was from 2 years old to 3 years old. I have to say this year pretty much comes in as a close second. You have left behind all things "baby" and "toddler" and you are now officially a little girl, a young lady- you are 6 years old and I guess I've said it before but I did not quite realize what a change this year, and this age, would bring.

In some ways it's the little things- I can't really remember the last time you gave me any trouble at all about going to bed. Boy do I remember those days of putting you to bed, over and over and over again until I thought I might scream! I knew back then those days would pass, and they have. (don't tell anyone but I kind of miss them- shhhh!) In this moment I appreciate that you still really look up to me as your number one. I sure hope that is one that does not change. Ever. We still hold hands in the parking lot, crossing streets, in the mall, at the store- strollers are gone forever (you know, except when Mom gets crazy and runs with you in the jogger).

You don't really fit in the shopping cart at the grocery store anymore, another change. This brings me back to remembering when I first sat you in the grocery cart when you were barely able to sit! I was SO tired of carrying around your car seat carrier and no one was able to see your beautiful outfits when you were all buckled in anyway. As soon as you were able to "sit" I would bring a small "georgia" size boppy (you were still prone to tipping over) I would wipe down the cart with sanitizing wipes, then cover it with our massive cart cover, then you were propped in. Everyone, of course, thought you were the most precious little thing in the world and you would just eat it up- smiling and cooing away! You still ask to ride in the cart, and I still put you in on occasion but honestly, I can't pull you out- your legs are too long and you get stuck. So you have to climb out on your own. It resembles a circus act and it's really getting to be a bit much...

You see- Turning 6 which co-insides with you graduating Kindergarten seems to be the end of a lot of things that we have done for six years now. You are swimming on your own. Seriously, the very first year I don't have to get in the water with you. No floaties, No life jackets. I wasn't so sure when we first jumped in together this summer and you clung to me like a little monkey again...then a week later at a pool party I was talking with some other mother's and you wanted to go down the BIG slide your friends were on that landed in 6 feet of water so I told you how deep the water was and showed you how far you would have to swim to get to the ladder. You said, "Okay, I can do it!" I stood on the side ready to jump in and told the life guard to keep an eye out. Down you went! Guess who swam like a little fish all the way to the ladder with no problem at all? Yep- you. I think your sweet friend Hallie on the side lines cheering you on helped you out as well! ;)

You are bathing yourself (I still like to do the hair portion of your bath but I try to restrain myself and let you do it). Brushing your own teeth, dressing yourself, we are so SO close to you tying your own shoes- you CAN do it, you just take more time than we normally have in the mornings. As far as eating goes.. well, I guess I've almost just let that one go. Some days you finish your ENTIRE plate, others you will take two bites. I'm trying very hard to stop feeding you bites of food. I have to say I'm slowly becoming better at this. You had your first sleep over at friend's houses and play dates sans Mom this year. You finally REALLY took to soccer and scored quite a few goals. You loved your dance classes and you make up your own dances to music all.the.time. at home. I love it. I get to watch a million private performances a week- How lucky am I?

You have always been but you continue to be a very sweet and caring girl. You are really funny and you say things sometimes that truly crack me up. Yesterday morning on the way to school you asked me, "Mom, when was Cinderella made?" I told you I wasn't sure but a long time ago, probably when Memaw was a little girl and your reply, "Oh wow so like in the 1980's? That was SO long ago!" I have to laugh so hard at that- the 1980's really were not so long ago my girl! You are smart and witty and you have a pretty good attitude on you as well. ;) One thing your Kinder teacher has repeatedly told me about you this year is that you truly have a good heart- you see kindness and have empathy for everyone.

Things that have stopped that I don't miss at all- the all out fits. You know the ones, complete with endless crying. I am almost 100% positive your Kinder teacher Mrs. Robbie had a LOT to do with helping me out on that one.

I carry you up the stairs on the occasion you fall asleep in the car on the way home from dinner and look in the mirror (as seen below). Who is that child in my arms whose feet dangle past my knees? Where did my snugly little baby dissapear to? Little by little I'm letting go and letting you grow up and be you. I'm so proud to be your Mom. I love hearing the stories Mrs. Robbie tells me of you in class or the things your friend's parents share with me about you when I'm not around. You are a pretty awesome kid. You are the star of your own life and I'm oh so happy God chose me to be your Mom. There isn't one moment of this I would have traded for anything. You've made me a better person and I pray every day that I'm returning the favor.

Now that you have conquered Kindergarten, it's onto our next great adventure and I cannot wait!

Love you more,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment