Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Fast Forward to First Grade

Dear Georgia,
I really feel as though life has fast forwarded us to first grade. As we prepped for the first day of school I almost felt like we were in the twilight zone in a way. Really? First Grade? There wasn't any nervousness about starting the new school year. It was kinda business as usual. (except for the fact I think it's completely strange you are in first grade and I can't get use to the idea you are 6 years old going on 6 and a half going on 7) We shopped for school clothes, we bought groceries for lunches, we read "The Night Before First Grade", we said prayers at bed time and you were in bed right at 8pm.

I kinda planned all this out years ago when I made the move to where we are now. I knew you would make friends and keep those friends from year to year. I knew it would be important to stay in the same "system" from start to finish. It's why we are where we are. It's why if all continues as planned you will graduate with the majority of kids you met on the first day of Kindergarten last year. You will continue to see familiar faces on the first day of school not only with your classmates but with the teachers as well. So in a way this year felt strange. For the first time nothing momentous was occurring except for the fact you are another year older and entering a new grade level in school. Wow..... breathe. And here we are.

I woke you up on the first day and you had your outfit planned out exactly. You had picked out a pink blazer while we were clothes shopping that you fell in love with and were dying to wear on the first day. To be honest- I did not buy the blazer that day. I'm always a sucker for those purchases and then you never wear them. (I cannot tell you how many adorable jackets, vests, etc. we have hanging in your closet you have worn for 2.5 seconds) After our shopping spree this blazer was all you could talk about for your first day of school outfit...wait I'm sorry "look". You even mentioned it to your teacher when we met her prior to school beginning you were going to wear it on the first day....regardless that it's still topping 100 degrees around here. Whoops on Mommy's part. Needless to say I ran back and purchased said blazer so you could have your moment.

So you dressed and I was watching as you stood in front of the big mirror in my bedroom and put on the prized blazer and buttoned it up. The look of pride on your face was absolutely priceless. That little jacket was worth every penny even if you only wear it that one day. I truly hope you never loose one little ounce of your self confidence my dear. You. are. amazing.

We ran down stairs ate and packed up then headed out for the big day. You played along and let me do my millions of photos. Of course I had set my camera out the night before but did not check the battery....still kicking myself for that. So phone photos had to make do. We arrived at school and were greeting by your friends and their parents. We saw your new teacher, found your desk, took more pictures, more hugs, more kisses. I tried to linger and then you said, "Okay Mom, you can go now."

huh? I can "go now?"
Wait...and since when am I "Mom"?
Seriously Georgia?

I took a deep breath- gave you one last hug and told you to have a great day! Then we left. I was really okay until this point- I wasn't going to cry on your first day of first grade but something about you being absolutely okay made me a little teary. You know, because it's better if you aren't okay or something like that......I'm kidding.

I picked you up and you had an awesome first day. I mean.... I guess you did.

You ate lunch with Hallie
(just like you did every day last year)
which is as much as I got out of you
(just like last year).

I was told I ask you too many questions and in case you forget my response was:
"You know Georgia...you might get irritated and not answer one of my questions and roll your eyes every day when I ask but I'm going to keep asking because I think one day you are going to realize not every parent cares what their child does at school. I do. I really want to know. You don't have to tell me if you don't want to- but basically I'm not going to quit asking you every. single. day of your life because I love you, I'm interested in what you do when I'm not around. I'm interested in you. So sorry- your stuck with it."

See- here we are. ;)

Love you more,
Mommy
(Not committing to the "Mom" thing yet.)

(Oh yeah, you kept your blazer on all day long in the heat. You were committed to your "look" way to go my mini- fashionista)

No comments:

Post a Comment