Sunday, December 1, 2013

Thanksgiving

We just returned from a whirlwind trip to and from my dad's place in Arkansas. I will catch you up on that a bit later- life has been a bit fast and hectic lately and there is MUCH to catch up on but I think it's important to take some time ((in honor of Thanksgiving)) to let you know what I am thankful for.....

1. Georgia- whoa. Obviously this gal was going to top my list. I could go on and on....So I will. (It's MY blog after all) She is my all. She isn't my "second question" to things- she is my first question. She's at this really awesome age that I'm really super proud of. Let me premise the following with "for the most part..." she can hold her own. She likes barbies AND power rangers, she can go to "fancy" restaurants, she can talk to adults, she is well behaved, she is smart, she is funny, she has an incredible personality, she has manners. I pray she has all this when I'm not around ;) In all seriousness- I can't explain it. Maybe you know- maybe you don't. I know- I love her.

2. Family- I am so blessed. What person on this earth has a family like mine??!!? Y'all my mom has been my best friend for ages. she still comes over at least once a week for a "girls night slumber party" aka "Melanie gets to wake up early to run!" I decide to throw a dinner party and guess what? My mom and grandmother show up to provide most everything. My grandmother picks up Georgia at least once a week from school when I have to work. We all know I work with my father. My siblings are the people that I could go to with ANYTHING. We all lead very different lives but at the end of the day Laura, Michael and I are "Mabry's" and not much else matters. I'm pretty lucky.... as much as they drive me crazy- I wouldn't trade them for the world. My mom is my role model for "how to be a mom" it's the one area in life I never think I fail in- therefore I can say (as always Mom...) she didn't fail. My daughter has pretty much been cared for by family her entire life. The thing is...I still have family that feels like that don't get enough of her. How lucky is she? What kid has grandparents, great-grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc. that are all biting at the bit to get their hands on them? Georgia. That's who. We are blessed. We have family. They ADORE us. We ADORE them. There are times when I "think" I'm lonely....it's because I'm choosing that. I know one phone call and my Memaw will be here in 10 minutes. My mom will be here in 30 minutes. It doesn't matter what I'm doing or what they are doing. Whose family does that? Mine does. I'm SOOOO going off on a tangent here but for real- they are there. They alway have been. They always will be. I think that's why I know I will always be "okay"- at the end of the day I KNOW I have people. People that care- SO much. If I ever fall apart ( and I have) they will be there, as they have in the past, to pick me back up and help me put the pieces back together. So I'm thankful for them. I'm thankful for all the times they have pieced me back together and I'm thankful for this past year when they have stepped back (I know guys.....it's been hard) and let me find my own way. They have let me put myself together. Thank you- it means more to me than you will ever know. You guys did a good job- y'all raised some pretty amazing kids and we are passing it on.

3. Friends- I love my "chosen" family. There are days that I don't think I could make it without them. The groups messages, trips, dinners, nights, dance parties, vacations, staycations, dinner parties, galas, wine stakes. You guys know who you who you are- y'all get the text messages when I'm in a disaster....basically because you answer ;) I hope that I am half a friend to all of you as you have been to me. You guys are always there- just like family. I've realized over the past few years what true friends are....the people that have known me almost my entire life (and for some reason still hang around?!?!) and the people I know now as an adult that will be a part of my life forever. Once again- when I fall apart y'all are minutes away...texts away. Thank you guys for being there- and always with our abbreviations ;)

4. When I was a little girl I would wish on stars- I would constantly wish the same thing. I know- you aren't suppose to tell because it won't come true. Maybe it's okay now that it has? "I want to be happy" Every. Single. Time. Oh....did I wish that! Over and over and over and over again. Whole heartedly! Somewhere along the way I've realized how happy I am. I use to look for it in others....then I realized how happy I can be with just myself. I am really, really happy. I love my life right now. My heart is overflowing with blessings- I have family, friends, an amazing daughter, a fantastic job. I am happy. I am so, SO blessed. I just sit back and think sometimes that people shouldn't be so lucky- Georgia and I kinda have it all. My friends adore her as much as my family does....we are thankful. We are blessed. I am thankful. We are happy. My wish came true.

To wrap this up I'm thankful for the opportunity to live life. It's short. It's sweet. I am reminded all too often that sometimes tomorrow does not come. I'm thankful for every moment.



No comments:

Post a Comment