Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Just drop me off...and stop being crazy!


The third day of school- have you been doing this all of your life? Yesterday (on the second day of school) you wanted me to just drop you off. Ummm...no- I still needed to walk you in, but I told you today we could go through the parent drop off line- they will stop letting Mommies and Daddies walk their children in any day now anyway. So this morning you were excited- I probably asked you a million times if you were SURE you wanted me to drop you off.

"Yes Mommy, I'm sure"
"But Georgia, are you really sure? Like completely positive because I can still walk you in..."
"I can do it Mommy, just drop me off"
"Okay, do you remember how to get to your classroom? Can you get there on your own?"
"Can you give me directions?" (hahaha)
"Yes- you walk in, take a right, then take another right into the Kindergarten building and your class is on the left"
"Got it! Right, Right then Left"
"That's right- and remember you can ask anyone for help if you get lost just tell them who your teacher is and that you are in Kindergarten"
"Got it!"
"And you remember the directions?"
"Yes"
"Are you sure you don't want me to walk you in?"
"No, just drop me off"
"You're sure because I can still walk you in today but pretty soon they won't let me do it at all"
"You can just drop me off"

At this point we are pulling into the circle drive for drop off

"Really, Georgia, you can still change your mind, I'll park and just walk you in"
"No Mommy, just drop me off" (and stop being so neurotic)

I pulled up to the two teacher aides and the 5th graders helpers that assist the kids getting out of the car. I leaned back and unbuckled you and handed you your back pack and lunch kit and you tumbled out of the car. The 5th grader tried to help you but you said "I've got it!" and the teacher aide came up to check your backpack tag (it has your classroom number and teacher on it) she tried to help you put your back pack on but you wanted to do everything yourself. I wish I had video of all of this- the look on your face was SO proud! She asked if you needed help getting to your classroom and you told her you knew and without skipping a beat (or putting your backpack on) you walked off with your arms full of your backpack and lunch kit like you owned the place to your classroom. I don't think I've ever seen you look so proud- or have had a prouder moment of you. The aide turned to the 5th grader and asked him to follow you to make sure you got where you were suppose to be. I had to pull out at this point and it took everything in me to not park my car and run inside to catch a glimpse of you walking into class and making sure you arrived okay.

I'm so glad I am your Mommy- you are the most special girl in the entire world. I hope you always know that.

Love you more,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment