Tuesday, December 11, 2012

"The Gift of the Magi"

When I was younger my mom and I decided at one point to begin purchasing "keepsake" type Christmas books to read, save and pass through our family. While we have TONS of Christmas books I think we ended up with only two "keepsake" types- you know...cloth cover, nice little case to keep it in. Out of those two Baxter (my new sweet little beagle at the age of 16) ate one. The book itself is still intact but that beautiful leather-like cover was destroyed....It just adds to it's charm. (and makes me wonder where is Baxter? Not the first time a dog has disappeared from 2005 Deepbrook...)

Moving on- the remaining book is "The Gift of the Magi". This book always depressed me when I read it growing up. I recall reading it over and over again looking for something I was missing in this book. There has to be a hidden message... I read it to Georgia the other night thinking maybe I will *get* it now that I am older and wiser. I still had no answers for myself. Better yet- no answers for my 5 year old. Fabulous.

In the version we have Della and Jim are 14 and 16. Their parents died the year before due to the harsh winter. They live paycheck to paycheck. Maybe Della cleans houses occasionally and Jim works in a bank but is so freaking stressed out he is looking WAY older than his 16 years. Depressed yet?

Della gets it in her head that she HAS to buy a present for Jim...Just has to! BUT she only has $1.87 even though she has save all year long. ONE DOLLAR AND EIGHTY SEVEN CENTS!!! I mean she can't buy a gift worthy of Jim for $1.87- what to do???

Glad you asked- Della has a prized possession- Her beautiful red hair which is admired by all and similar to Rapunzel's...except red. So she runs to the salon, chops her hair off and gets 20 bucks for it to buy Jim's present. (I really hate this book.)

She ends up buying Jim a platinum chain for his pocket watch, which is HIS prized possession. Passed through generation after generation. (anyone else wondering where you could get a platinum pocket watch chain in NYC for $20....so I'm not the only one?) yay! Christmas is solved- she shaved her head and bought Jim a present. Awesome.

Alas, there is a problem...when they exchange gifts they realize they BOTH gave up their most PRIZED possessions to buy the other a gift! Della no longer has the gorgeous mop of hair to hold the amazing and expensive hair combs Jim bought her. Meanwhile Jim, poor lad, sold his FAMILY HEIRLOOM to buy Della some freaking hair combs. Yep, that's right...he no longer has a use for that platinum watch chain....

Then you get some bit about how they are the wisest along with a comparison to the Kings who brought gifts to baby Jesus. Ummm....okay- I'm totally lost. Plus still irritated at this entire scenario. Is Jim a moron? Della's hair will grow back eventually but that watch is gone forever. It was the ONLY thing he had of his father's!

I'm so depressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment