Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Oh. So it's NOT a torn muscle then?

6 weeks ago I was running at Memorial Park. I was on mile 5 when I felt something weird in my right hip/leg. Almost like a pop of some sort. It kind of felt like something had been dislocated. I shook my leg out and kept running because I almost felt like I could "pop" it back into place. By the time I finished running and made it back to the car I was in pain and kind of limping but still had that feeling that I could just "pop" my leg out of it. So I went home and did Tae Bo. Needless to say I couldn't walk by the end of the night.

I went to a Physical Therapist a week later who told me it was Piriformis Syndrome. It added up and seemed to fit with the pain, etc. I was having. The only problem was he told me it would go away within 2 weeks. 3 weeks later still in pain, still can't run. I was taking anti-inflammatory medications and I thought I was healing then I would go a day without them and would not be able to walk.

After going through the rounds with the PT guy I finally made an appointment with another doctor. Prior to seeing him I went to Nashville. When I arrived I realized I forgot the medicine and I literally had problems walking the entire trip. It was embarrassing. When I returned home I pulled out some crutches I had and I started using those to get around the house I was in so much pain.

I went to the first doctor and he did x-rays of my hip, found nothing but referred me to an orthopedic doctor whom I saw yesterday. The orthopedic did x-rays of my back and lo' and behold I have a spinal fracture and something called "spondylolisthesis".... fabulous. So I have a vertebrae that never formed correctly from, oh I don't know, way back when I was in the womb and it "gives" or slips and now it is fractured. So that is what it has done and it slipped right on my sciatic nerve which is causing all of my pain.

Ugh- anyway now I am waiting to go in for an MRI sometime this week (hopefully) and then we will put together a game plan to fix this.

P.S. I have a marathon to run in September. I don't have any more time to waste.....

*****Editing this to add- I showed Georgia the x-rays last night. She thought they were cool. Then this morning we were talking on the way to school and she asked how it happened. I said "I'm not really sure but I think probably when I was running. That or maybe you've been stepping on too many cracks and you finally did break your poor mother's back!"

"MOM! That's JUST a joke!" She totally thinks I'm funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment